Thursday, January 11, 2007

Cascading Style Sheets - CSS Zengarden


I began HTML programming in the early to mid-nineties. After 1997 or so I didn't do much hands on programming because my job didn't require anything except oversight of our web presence. As I have started my own businesses over the past 6 months I have been thrust back into it (mostly to keep costs down) and I have been shocked at how sophisticated web programming has become. Simply learning about Cascading Style Sheets has been an eye opener (cackle on everyone who has mastered ruby on rails, AJAX etc....). Taking a crash course in web 2.0 design has led me to be absolutely blown away and smitten with CSS. I am taking baby steps to implement it for sure but this site www.csszengarden.com has shown me just how incredibly freakin powerful this is. The premise of the site is that the underlying HTML code remains the same but the layout and look are DRASTICALLY changed by the CSS code. The various design examples are brilliant on their own but given the fact that they are ALL hitting the same exact code is just mind boggling to me. I have loaded some screen captures from the site but I think it is much more worthwhile for you to explore it on you own.

No comments: