Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees



I was reading over the nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Seems to be an easy bunch to sort through with the exception of Patti Smith. I have to admit that I have never really dug her. I tried but in the end I couldn't even fake it to seem hip. I mean the Springsteen cover was OK but other than that...
But I am sure the die hard music critic nerds will cry foul if she is passed over.
Here are my picks:

R.E.M. - Hard to believe they are eligible already (25 years since Chronic Town?!) but they deserve a place in the Hall of fame for Automatic for the People alone.

Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five - Everyone overlook what a ground breaking DJ this guy was, sure we have come to appreciate turntablists now but this guy was a pioneer. He did mindblowing stuff. The key was that he did it behind great rappers and good songs. A shoe-in.

Iggy and The Stooges - Lester Bangs said everything that ever needed to be said in praise of the Stooges.

Chic - Chic should be included more for their collective and individual influence than for their body of work. (Though the bass break on "Freak Out" ensures Bernard Edwards a place in Funky Valhalla.) They inadvertently laid the ground work for Rap when the Sugarhill Gang used the "Good Times" groove for Rapper's Delight. Nile Roger's production on Madonna and Steve Winwood and Tony Thomson's drums on Bowie's "Let's Dance" album set the pace for the 80's.

Van Halen - Van Halen I, Eruption, You Really Got Me. This is bombastic rock at its best and that goes without any mention of Eddie Van Halen's groundbreaking fret work.

No comments: