Tuesday, October 24, 2006

DHL = DHELL Is it that hard to deliver a package?

Last night I was on the phone with U.S. Customs for the better part of an hour. I have a shipment with DHL that came in from Hong Kong. Last Thursday they showed that the shipment had arrived in OH and was clearing Customs. On Friday they contacted my customer and made delivery. But only 1 of 24 boxes showed up. So I check back with DHL and they tell me that the shipment has not cleared Customs yet. I pointed out that they had already delivered one box.
The guy at DHL tells me they will need to retrieve the box and take it back to Customs.
Too late, the stuff is already sold. They gave me the number for the Customs office in Ohio and told me to contact them directly. Of course this particular Customs office is conveniently only open from 10pm to 6am. I spoke to the supervisor and the inspector who were both polite and professional and just a little baffled as to why DHL would have me call. Turns out that despite the fact that my goods arrived on Thursday, by Monday night DHL hadn't bothered to clear them through Customs AND mistakenly let one box loose (too bad they didn't screw up and send all of them!). I would expect these headaches in a developing country (as well as "fees" for customs officers) but in OHIO!? Hopefully my customer will get their stuff tomorrow, I can't wait for the import department at DHL to open this morning.

No comments: