Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Al Qaida, DHL is the shipper for you!

What's this employee thinking? "Too bad we forgot to clear this stuff through U.S. Customs!" Attention Al Qaida, if you want to get a dirty bomb into America just ship it with DHL! They won't bother to actually run anything by U.S. Customs. And then they will try to lie their way out of it and never accept responsibility for the problems they have caused. Al Qaida, DHL is your perfect partner!
So DHL came clean today, they forgot to clear my shipment through Customs. Iin the words of DHL's import department "this was all our fault".
So what does a $700 additional charge get you from DHL? 73%(Almost $100 a percentage point!). Of 23 boxes, only 17 showed up before the GUARANTEED delivery time (let alone the fact that they previously quoted a $10 fee, not $700!) .
So the missing six boxes, where are they? Missing.
Here's where it gets really good, the DHL driver showed up at the delivery location a few hours after dropping off the packages asking if he can "have them back because we forgot to clear them with Customs."
So, now my customer is still traveling. They will be in Michigan tomorrow. If DHL finds my 6 boxes they will most likely be schlepped to Customs for inspection (and delayed even further). If they don't find them it is a $6000 claim.
DHL is a global corporation, this level of incompetence is unfathomable. I have been involved with shipping and delivery for nearly 20 years and I have NEVER seen anything like this. I have NEVER seen anything like this in countries where I would expect confusion and bribery to be the norm. (I NEVER thought I'd say this but Thank god for bribes! At least things happen!)

No comments: